BSi have now published BS 60080:2020 Explosive and toxic atmospheres: Hazard detection mapping – Guidance on the placement of permanently installed flame and gas detection devices using software tools and other techniques.
This new British Standard provides guidance on the placement of permanently installed flame and gas (F&G) detectors and includes the setting of performance standards for coverage, placement of devices and technology selection. It provides guidance on the most commonly used methods of mapping and/or modelling – prescriptive, volumetric and scenario-based. It’s relevant to applications where:
• Optical flame detection is used as a means of detecting flaming fires in internal and external environments
• A gas detection system is used as a method of explosion protection
• The hazard arises from the release or accumulation of explosive gases and vapours
• The hazard arises from the release or accumulation of toxic gases
BS 60080:2020 also provides guidance on operations, maintenance and the availability/reliability of the system to complement relevant standards.
Primary users will be:
• Manufacturers of detection devices and software.
• Retailers and distributors of detection devices and software.
• Engineering companies/engineers tasked with implementing a detection system.
• Consultants and auditors conducting third party reviews.
• Certification bodies.
Secondary users will be:
• Insurance companies.
• Academic establishments offering instrumentation courses and qualifications.
• The judicial system in case of accident, injury or death.